What’s on your mind? Call Sound Off, our weekly column of community comments, at 352-337-0368.
• My wife and I love to travel on cruise liners. We were ready to go again, but only on a 100% vaccinated ship. We don’t understand why Gov. DeSantis is so against this common-sense measure. We would love to support the industry, however, I think we speak for thousands of potential passengers when we say for now we aren’t going near a cruise ship without all passengers and staff being vaccinated.
• The new school board member, Mildred Russell, appointed by Gov. DeSantis, mentions how she will work on the school board and study all sides. However, I seriously doubt that she will ever vote against anything that Gov. DeSantis is against – a prime example being the wearing of masks to protect everyone, especially young children who cannot yet be vaccinated
• Where did all the Biden-Harris campaign signs in the yards all over Gainesville go? Just curious. Did all of a sudden you people have a change of heart? Surely not. Good Lord, I mean, he’s done a great job with our economy, with the border, with Afghanistan. God help him. I mean, something happens to him, we’ve got a very competent vice president ready to take charge, right? Sure! God bless you all.
More Sound Off:
• There’s one word that can describe what is happening in Afghanistan. No, it’s not “Biden.” The correct word is “corruption.” What led to the fall of Afghanistan was deep and widespread corruption.
• This president has embarrassed us on the world stage. No one will consider us as a dependable ally. Our enemies look at us as vulnerable. We are negotiating with terrorists. This is from a man who had six deferments during Vietnam while I served. Our southern border is wide open for anyone to come in. At this point all I can say is, “In God we trust.”
• It’s time for our U.S. Rep. Kat Cammack to increase her vocabulary. Up until now, her vocabulary is only the two-letter word “no.” I would suggest that she increase her vocabulary when she gets back in session to include an occasional three-letter word: “yes.” It’s time.
• The Supreme Court rejected the CDC/Biden’s extension of the eviction moratorium on the ground that it exceeded legal authority. They held that only Congress can do that. Ya think the Republicans will do anything to help financially hurting working class folks? Fat chance! After all, these aren’t the wealthy folks that contribute big money for re-elections campaigns.
• I’ve heard a lot of people pushing for unvaccinated people to not receive treatment in hospitals because of their choice to not put a foreign substance in their bodies for the greater good. If I use this logic, then no smoker should be treated for lung cancer. They knew what they were putting into their bodies was harmful and also harmful to those around them.
• I recently had my left lower leg amputated, and my caretaker was not here the other night. I needed medication that I couldn’t get to. I want to thank the Gainesville Police Department, whom I called, for coming over and being so patient and doing several errands for me within my house while they were here. It was very kind of them, and I just want to thank them “in public,” so to speak.